Wednesday, October 5, 2011

36/52 - Belly Sunset

I saw a picture like this the other day on-line and really wanted to try to emulate it.  The picture I saw was a little different because it was a guy (cowboy) who was the subject and had a split rail fence in the middle of a field, but I thought I could get something close to it with the fence around my pool and my pregnant wife in stead.

So, the other night after dinner, I had Paige put on a shirt that her belly would stick out of (the same shirt from the "Belly Shirt" picture) and head out to the pool.  Our pool is shaded in the afternoons / evenings and the sun actually sets behind Paige, so I had to re-create the sunset light.  To do this, I put a 1/4 CTO (color temperature orange) gel on my flash and shot it through an umbrella to soften the light and 'warm' it up a bit to mimic a sunset.  I could have put a 1/2 CTO gel on it, but I think with how bright the ambient was, it would have looked a little fake.

After getting the lighting dialed in, by using myself as a test subject, I had Paige come out, snapped 5-6 pictures and called it a night!  I got a couple that I liked out of the bunch.  I really liked this one of Paige the most.  I got one of the both of us together, which I liked as well, then I got one of just myself, which Paige really liked. 

Let me know what you think.

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment