Monday, September 19, 2011

30/52 - Grand Canyon

I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon.  Especially more recently, as I've gotten more into photography and have a better camera.  As I've posted a few times on this blog, I really like taking panorama pictures.  I'll grab a bunch of frames and stitch them all together in Photoshop to put together different panos.  When I hiked a couple miles down into the Grand Canyon, there were plenty of opportunities to get great photos, especially great panos. 

This picture is a combination of 11 different pictures all stitched together.  Technically, I didn't really need 11 pictures, but I overlapped them quite a bit, just to make sure the image didn't get screwed up when I went to stitch it together.  That's happened to me before, where I've missed overlapping a picture slightly, and it messed up the entire picture.  I didn't want that to happen here, so I erred on the side of caution.

Paige's dad and I hiked down into the Canyon on the South Kaibab trail from the South Rim.  I believe the South Kaibab trail goes all the way down to the river, but since we were only there for the morning, we just went a short way in. 

This photo was put together at the 'Ooh-Aah Point', named after the fact that when you get there and look out at the vista, everyone naturally says 'oooh' and 'aaah'.  Kind of cheesy, but it works.
We continued hiking for another half hour or so downward, decided to call it quits, since it was going to be a steep hike back out and headed back.  We were on our second day of hiking at this point (after hiking 10 miles with 7,000 feet elevation change the day before) so we were already tired.  We also had a 4+ hour drive back to Phoenix that afternoon and didn't want to over extend ourselves.

The two days of hiking were a great time and this photo really doesn't do the Grand Canyon justice as to how enormously big and beautiful it is.  It is a spectacular place and I can't wait to get back and hike even further down into it and get some more great pictures.

Let me know what you think.

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment