Tuesday, August 30, 2011

29/52 - Homeless

When I was walking around New Orleans a few weeks ago, I really wanted to try to get out at night and do a little bit of people watching and possibly try 'street photography' a bit.  What I mean by 'street photography' is simply to capture a candid image of a person or people, without them knowing I was shooting them.  Hopefully, in New Orleans, I'd be able to get an interesting person or group of people that could make an interesting image, so I thought I'd try it out.

I made a couple laps around Bourbon Street, trying to find something of interest...I know, being on Bourbon Street, there should be plentiful opportunities to find something interesting.  I shot a lot of pictures, a couple of them decent, many that were just boring, but this one really caught my eye.

I passed this guy the my first trip down the street and thought that he would make an interesting image.  I'm nervous shooting pictures of complete strangers and even more nervous that they would catch me shooting them, which could get akward.  So, I didn't stop right away and take his picture.  I kept walking down the street, but the further I got, I convinced myself that I would regret not taking the picture.  So, I walked the couple blocks back towards the guy and stopped in a doorway to an apartment or something, half hidden, and composed my picture.  I snapped off a couple of shots and was really pleased with the way it came out.  I felt this whole scene really makes this guy look like he feels lonely and isolated from everyone else.  Although there are a lot of people out on the street, there isn't anyone close to him.  I felt like it made a pretty good scene.

So, happy that I got the picture I wanted to take, I kept on walking, stopping every now and again to grab pictures of everything that was going on.  This ended up being my favorite picture from the trip.

Let me know what you think.

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment