Wednesday, April 6, 2011

9/52 - Water Drops

It's been slightly over 2 weeks since I've posted. Things have been pretty busy around our house and with work, so I was slacking pretty hard when it came to getting new pictures.

I've seen a lot of water drop pictures before and I really wanted to try to capture one myself. I've tried this several times and always got very boring results at best. I couldn't figure out how to capture the drop at the right time, how to get the shutter fast enough to really make the water drop sharp and how to get interesting colors on the water. So, I did some research on how other people got good pictures and it's actually really easy. Having a flash is the key to getting good water pictures.

Since I just got my new flash, I was eager to try it out. I learned that if you put something with interesting color behind the water and shoot the flash into that background, your cool colors will reflect into the water when you take the picture.

So, I found a gift bag that had green, red, yellow and orange stripes and put it behind my bowl. Then it was just a matter of getting the exposure correct to go with my fast shutter speed and that was it!

I shot around 30 pictures and came out with a few that I really liked, but this one was the best of all.

Next time I do this, I'm going to use a larger bowl or pan so that you can't see the rim in the picture. But, for what I was trying to accomplish, I was really happy.



Let me know what you think.

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment