Wednesday, March 2, 2011

6/52 - Scrounging for pictures

OK, so I'm not going to lie...I didn't get a picture for this week.

I traveled all last week, spending 20+ hours traveling via airplanes (when I could have driven in 16 or less), then got home and decided to remodel the kitchen. I had Friday off, so thought I'd try to get a lot of work done around the house with the long weekend. I did get a lot of work done, but it literally took me the entire weekend. I spent more than 30 hours between installing new counter tops, cutting and laying quarter-round on the baseboards and installing and grouting a new tile back-splash.

The good news is that it looks like we have a brand new, modern, warm kitchen versus what we had before. Check out the before / after picture.

Kitchen Before/After -

The bad news is that I had no time to do any shooting this last week. So, I don't really have any new pictures to put up. I've got one that I took a few weeks ago that I'll include.

When looking for a new picture to take, I saw a lot of self-portraits head shots that people have taken of themselves and I thought they looked cool. I wanted a picture that was just of my head and face and pretty much cut everything else out. I also really liked the B&W processing that I did on my pictures of Paige, so I decided to apply that to this image as well. I just wanted it to be a very basic image. I really like the specular highlights that a lot of people get in these images (the light reflected in the eye or something like that), usually either from a flash or window, so I wanted to try to capture the same kind of thing. Since I don't have an external flash, I had to try to capture one using daylight and a window.

So, I headed down to our big front bay window and started snapping away. Trying to get the correct focus at f/1.8, shooting a picture of yourself is pretty tricky, so it took me several shots to get my left eye as the focal point and get the image I was looking for, but I was really pleased with how it came out in the end.



P.S. I'm sure some of you will be happy to know that I've since shaved off the grungy beard...I was several days past a trim / haircut when I shot the picture, so it looks extra dirt-baggish.

Let me know what you think.


T

No comments:

Post a Comment